The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

Where Are You On The Political Spectrum?

Matthew Walsh, Writer

Many people are not involved in politics these days, especially after the extremely toxic and scarring 2016 presidential campaign. However, you can know where you stand on many issues by asking yourself some very simple but revealing questions. In politics, there is a spectrum or a line in which your views put you. The line has a center, reserved for people who don’t really care about politics or simply agree with both sides of the aisle when it comes to political arguments. However, as you go more left or right from the center of the line, views get more extreme. The right side of the line is most equated with the Republican Party. If you identify as a republican, you most likely favor lowering taxes or lessening the federal government’s power over the people and individual states. The left side is filled by the Democratic Party. The individuals that fall under the Democratic denomination are individuals who usually support things like healthcare for all and social programs like social security.

There a few questions that you can ask yourself to know where you stand on the political spectrum. Do you idolize political figures like Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama? If you agree with these individuals on most of their political policies, you are most likely a Democrat. Therefore, you most likely go on the left side of the political spectrum with the rest of the Democratic Party supporters. If you like individuals such as Rand Paul, Donald Trump, or Ted Cruz, you would be considered a Republican and therefore be placed on the right side of the spectrum. If you completely disagree with all six of these individuals and their political policies, you are most likely a centrist. A centrist falls smack dab in the middle of the political spectrum. These individuals like to pick and choose the policies of Republicans and Democrats and come up with solutions that are neither right or left in political nature.

However, no matter where you are on the spectrum always be aware that you are not always right. It is essential that we listen and learn from each other especially in today when it seems things are at their worst. Stay humble, listen and respect other people’s opinions, and overall, be kind to one another.