The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

Keeping Up With The Best

Jake Serrano, Sports Writer

Dylan Breen (No.4) getting set for the 55 meters.

Speed is something you just can’t teach. Its a skill one has that makes them rise above the rest.

If your a sprinter and high jumper like Dylan Breen during the Winter or Spring track season, then your in luck because speed kills and its a major component in track.

Dylan Breen has been a stellar sprinter and jumper over the years. He’s always practicing and continuing to master his craft that he works so hard at. His hard work has payed dividends allowing him to win 21 medals and be accepted into Georgian Court University. Breen has a bright future ahead and all he has to do is continue to put his best foot forward. Breen has exiled these passed four years and his hard work will be remembered forever as he owns several records for both Spring and Winter track.

I had a chance to catch up with Breen and ask him a few questions. Who has been your biggest motivation over the course of your 4 year high school career? “My Self and wanting to beat records”. What records have you accomplished? ” I’m 2nd in the indoor 200 meters, 4th in the indoor high jump, and just outside of the indoor 400 meters”. “I’m two hundredths of a second off of 10th in the indoor 55 meters”, 3rd for outdoor long jump, and 1st for outdoor triple jump”. You could say Breens accomplished a lot and has flourished in this sport.

Has there been another teammate or player that’s helped you out, throughout the years? Brandon Frank, he’s my biggest competition, because he helps me push myself to get better; I love competition.”

— Dylan Breen

What offseason training have you done to prepare for the start of the season? “I did cross country, along with going to Toms River South to practice jumping over the summer, but usually I like to rest for the next season”.

Has there been any coaches that have motivated you? “Coach Moore from freshman year; I like all my coaches, especially Coach Blum who has helped me so much”.

On a cold cloudy day I had the opportunity to run with Breen and see how hard it is to actually keep up with the best (it’s very difficult if you were wondering). We ran all types of different sprints incorporated by boys sprinters coach, Coach G. Running with Breen is like nothing I’ve ever done. He’s lengthy and has a great acceleration with never having a false step. He’s fast like lighting and if you don’t maintain your speed, he’ll past you like a bullet. He’s a workhorse; always putting his best foot forward. He has more stamina then you could ever imagine. Its a challenge and a honor to be able keep up with the best.