The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

The Competition that Brings All of Lacey’s Athletes Together-The Annual Volleyball Tournament

Many students at Lacey love their sports and in addition to their efforts in school, strive to make a name for themselves on the fields and courts of our high school.  There are many excellent athletes at our school but where else can you see them all compete against each other?  The annual Phys Ed Volleyball tournament.

You will see teams made up of varsity football players with varsity girl field hockey players on the same team. You will see the baseball players form a squad or a group of friends who play multiple sports.  A game could feature the wrestlers v. cross country.  That would be a great duel, as they are two sports known for their endurance.  What is also great about it is to see the younger athletes step up and compete against their older teammates.  Who knows, a freshman team could survive and advance.  It would be like the NCAA Sweet Sixteen!

It’s become a real tradition here as players get pumped up and order fun shirts.  Some are in it for fun, others want to win it all.  Several years ago I saw a great game featuring some of our best senior athletes vs. some of our best young coaches.   It was great to watch.  Freshman and sophomores should realize that they can form their own squad and can go up against the big boys and girls.

Mr. Mahar started this eleven years ago and it is a great mid winter break.  It also serves as a fundraiser for the phys ed scholarship.  He, along with Coach Jacobson plan this to coincide with the end of winter sports before the start of spring sports.  This year it starts on Wednesday February 28th.