The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

How To: Survive the Grips of the Binge Watch

Hannah Starner, Writer

As high school students, or simply average human beings, we have all known a person who has been sucked into the black-hole of an addictive new Netflix series… even if that person is our own self. When you’re watching a series that has 9 seasons worth of 20 half-hour-long episodes, how can you still bring yourself to be a productive member of society when all you want to do is see the newest trouble Michael gets himself into on The Office? And really, what’s the harm of one more episode? Your homework isn’t going anywhere, right? Well, you see, one episode becomes two, and then three, four, five… and now it’s 11:00 P.M. and the pile of math homework is still glaring at you from the kitchen table, untouched. I know for certain I’m not the only one who’s gone through something similar to this situation. So now the question stands: what are the best tactics and strategies we can use to simultaneously binge watch and  continue to be productive? I’ve taken it upon myself to ask students around school for their best tips on how to binge watch.

Heather Zbikowski [’19] has adopted the stop-and-go method. She says that she has to periodically take breaks between Grey’s Anatomy episodes, otherwise she simply can’t finish her work.

Abby Sinibaldi [’19] says that she finishes her homework while she watches. I guess some people are just better multitaskers than others. One of her go-to series is Gilmore Girls.

Kelsey Conover [’19] sets a schedule for herself. She plans out what times she’ll be able to get in her fill of Gossip Girl or 90210, and limits herself to that timeframe.

When asking Christopher Fugnitti [’19] the same question, a completely different answer was given: “I don’t be productive,” he says simply. Chris throws productivity to the wind, and engrosses himself in whatever show he’s watching. Seeing who goes home next on The Challenge is what becomes his new top priority. Chris says that if he has work he needs to finish, he’ll just complete it in school, or whenever is most convenient for him.

Personally, I try to find a good stopping point, such as when the episode is getting less exciting, or when a conflict has been resolved. That way, I can finish my obligations without worriedly wondering when Eleven and Mike are going to reunite again in Stranger Things.

Now that you have a few tricks up your sleeve in order to make your binge-watch session equally engrossing and productive, here’s a list of some of the most highly recommended shows from the students here at Lacey Township High School. Binge responsibly!

• 90210
  • Friends
  • Gilmore Girls
  • Gossip Girl
  • Grey’s Anatomy
  • Heart of Dixie
  • How to Get Away With Murder
  • New Girl
  • Once Upon A Time
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Quantico
  • Riverdale
  • Scandal
  • Stranger Things
  • That 70’s Show
  • The Flash
  • The Following
  • The Office