Football upset by Wall; Moves to 3-1

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football upset by Wall; Moves to 3-1

It was a highly anticipated match up between two good programs at the shore, as Lacey traveled to Wall for a conference match up last Friday Night.  Wall won 28-7 on several big plays and a swarming aggressive defense.

It was a beautiful early fall night and the Wall students were rowdy early and often.  Many Lacey students made their way to the game, wearing florescent colors.  Although Wall went up early, the third quarter seemed to go Lacey’s way as they scored and frequently stopped Wall.  It looked like momentum was on their side but Wall again came up with some big plays.  Lacey’s band was into it, urging the team to score and pumping up the visiting Lacey fans.  The families and friends of the players were pumped for “Friday Night Lights” and many of them were as into the game as the players, rising to their feet on great plays and throwing their arms in frustration when Lacey lost the ball.

The cheerleaders were loud and up close as Wall does not have a track.  You could see the intensity they bring and the complicated cheers requiring about 8 cheerleaders to catch one who goes way up.  So well over 100 students from football, cheer leading and band traveled up to Wall for a big Friday night.  Its and interesting dynamic.  How much do the football players love the music?  Does it pump them up?  How do the cheer leaders and the band coordinate the cheers and music?  How much is dictated by the pace of the game or big plays?  It seems that whenever there are big plays the drummers jump right into it.

The Wall students definitely had an attitude as they chanted some derogatory stuff about Lacey.  Also, Lacey had played a song and right after Wall had scored their band played the same song.  Was that on purpose or coincidence?