The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

The Race to the Top

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Race to the Top

Jacob Serrano, Sports Department

Week 5 of the NFL sports world is upon us and the stakes are starting to ramp up. Only 2 undefeated teams remain with the Rams and the Chiefs both at 4-0 and both are a powerhouse who are a force to be reckoned with. Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs are lighting up the sky with they’re high end offense and strong deep passing game. With Speed, youth, and a experienced head coach in Andy Reid the Chiefs look to be the team to beat in the AFC, but others may say no. 

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

With the Patriots dominance hanging in the balance they still seem to pose a threat with the ageless wonder Tom Brady and their sneaky minded coach Bill Belichick.

SLEEPER ALERT: With all the hype around the Pats and the Chiefs, one team that seems to be rolling high is the Tennessee Titans. With a Heated division comprised of a stingy team known as the Jaguars and two elusive teams with Quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Deshuan Watson, the Titans have been able to fight through injury and beat two divisional opponents along with the Super Bowl Champs.

The NFC is a hotley contested conference with a number of teams looking to make a run to the playoffs. The NFC East seems to be tricky again once more and it will most likely come down to the wire in the later weeks of the season.

The NFC North surprises me a ton with the Bears at 3-1, the Packers 2-1-1, the Vikings 1-2-1, and the Lions are 1-3. The Bears seem to surprise me the most with a QB in Mitchell Trubisky and a tandem of RBs in Cohen and Howard, the Bears look like the Bears of old. With a strong defense lead by Khali Mack, they are damaging offenses. In the Offseason, the Bears worked hard in acquiring key talents: Khali Mack, Allen Robinson, and Trey Burton. This Division also seems to come down to the wire as 3 of the 4 teams, I believe can make a run f0r the playoffs.

Against the Bills the Packers defense troubled the offense of the Bills. Aaron Rodgers made a comment about his offense in the shutout game (22-0), where the Packers had some bumps in the road against this Bills defense.

Pullquote Photo

“We were terrible on offense. I don’t think it made a difference for the offense, I’m also a realist. That’s just not acceptable offense for us, Four hundred and twenty-three yards looks pretty good in comparison to some of the games we’ve put forward the first three weeks, but it should have been about 45 points and 600 yards.””

— Aaron Rodgers

The Vikings a former NFC championship game contender was just one game away from making to the Super Bowl last year. As they signed Kirk Cousins to 3 year deal worth over 80 million dollars, they look to fill the last piece to the puzzle. However, with a tie against the division foe the Packers and a loss to a team in the Bills who was a laughing stock in the NFL, raises a lot of concern and questions around this franchise.

NFC WEST: Rams 4-0, Seahawks 2-2, 49ers 1-3, Cardinals 0-4. The NFC West is known for its gritty battles and tough defenses. With the emergence of Jimmy Garoppolo all looked golden for a team that won 5 of its last 6 games last year after starting 1-10. Unfortunately, Garoppolo tore his ACL and is now out for the season and it feels as though all hope for the 49ers fan base is lost.

The Cardinals are another interesting franchise with a team that lost QB Carson Palmer in the offseason, the team acquired Sam Bradford to a 1 year contract worth 20 million dollars and drafted UCLA QB Josh Rosen. The team still has the legend Larry Fitzgerald and the beast at running back in David Johnson, but new head coach Steve Wilks can’t seem to find a way into the win column even though in the preseason this defense had the most turnovers in the league.

The Seahawks who completely gave their team a makeover this offseason. With a new look all around and this team looks nothing like they use to. With a seasoning ending injury to Earl Thomas and the retirement of Kam Chancellor the secondary is decimated. Notable losses: Michael Bennett (Eagles), Kam Chancellor (Retire), Earl Thomas (Injury), Richard Sherman (49ers), Paul Richardson (Redskins), and Cliff Avril (Released). Russell Wilson is still at the helm, but if his offense O-Line doesn’t get better soon we may not here much about him.

The Rams who are 4-0 and unlike the Seahawks, the Rams boosted their roster in the Offseason with many talented players. Notable Gains: Brandin Cooks (trade), Aqib Talib (trade), Marcus Peters (trade), and Ndamukong Suh (Signed). All roads seem to go through LA and it looks like no team can slow them down. With players in Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald this franchise will shut down teams when given the opportunities.

Who can beat these undefeated teams? What team will rise above the rest? Will Jets fans be disappointed yet again? Can the Dolphins hold up this crown on the AFC East? All are questions floating around as the NFL season ramps up.