The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

Notable Alumni: This months notable is Chris Fleming

Owen Tracey, Sports Writer

High School years: Chris Fleming was and still is a amazing shooter.

He scored 2,235 high school basketball points and despite not having a 3 point line available until his senior year. Fleming is still the all-time leading scorer in Ocean County history. The 6-5 sharpshooter averaging 32 points-per-game as a senior. So, imagine if he had the 3 point line his whole career he could have had close to 3,000. The Asbury Park Press ranked him in the top 10 shore basketball players in high school. Chris Fleming was an unbelievable basketball player in the school and very underrated. It’s about time we give him some credit for what he did.

What others say: I got the idea for this article from talking to my dad Joe, who graduated Lacey in 1989.  He played baseball and football and he and his friends went to all of the basketball games.  He said, “The Atmosphere was amazing.  Flem could shoot from anywhere.  We all went up to Asbury for a big game and he wound up stealing the ball at midcourt and sprinted down the court and slammed it home.  Even their fans went nuts!”  Mr. O’Sullivan and I were talking about this and he remembers it well. O’Sullivan said “It was my first year teaching and I had heard about this kid Fleming who was a great shooter but seeing it in person was unbelievable.  He would cross half court and be in range.  Once he got hot, he was unstoppable.  Then, if guys got up on him, he could drive past them and dunk so he was a complete player.”

Here is the link to the APP Story.

pts.https://www.app.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2014/12/20/top-shore-basketball-stars-time/20690449/

College years: Fleming played college ball for UCONN and the Richmond Spiders he played 5 games for UCONN before transferring to Richmond where he was more successful. He averaged 9 pts per game coming off the bench in his 3 years at Richmond. In 1991 Richmond went to the NCAA tournament, beating Syracuse in the first round. They lost to Temple in the round of 32. Against Syracuse he had 8 pts for the  # 15 Spiders as they beat the # 2 seed Syracuse 73-69. Against Temple, even though the Spiders lost, he dropped in 25 points coming off the bench.

After College: Chris Fleming almost made the NBA but still followed his dreams of playing professional. He played professionally in Germany for 7 years then moved on to coaching where he coached for 14 years also coached for the German national team. As of now Chris is the assistant coach for the Brooklyn Nets. ESPN talked about him in a essay as one of the top 5 assistant coaches to watch, who could be in line for a head coaching job in the NBA.