Class of 2021 Introduced To LTHS as a College?

Performance from Lacey’s Cheerleaders during Freshman Orientation 2017

It’s that time of the year when the next generation of LTHS students are officially welcomed to get a taste of the next 4 years of their lives. On Wednesday February 15th, the annual Freshman Orientation took place at LTHS after a week’s delay due to inclement weather. And while a rescheduling was expected, current and incoming LTHS students did not expect dramatic, yet interesting changes to the Freshman Orientation routine.

Previously for the event, the school’s administration would hold a presentation in the Auditorium, then have the students and parents move into the Gymnasium where the school’s extra curricular activities were out on display. This year, the newly hired administration sought to revise this traditional system, using a format never before seen for an LTHS orientation. For the new version, 8th grade students and their parents were directed to the Gymnasium for a school spirit presentation followed by a welcoming from the school’s superintendent, Mr. Wigley, and principal, Mr. Brandis. From there, students and parents were split into 15 different groups escorted by SGA tour guides around the school’s departments of various classes. Core and specialized subjects of teaching were the destinations of these groups around the school, accompanied by numerous teachers to provide information and answer questions. After the tours reached their final stop, they were directed to the school’s cafeterias, where the extra curricular activities were on display for the remainder of the night, along with refreshments. The new style for the Freshman Orientation was packed with innovation, so how was it received?

For the most part, parents seemed exceptionally pleased with the event overall, and there was quite a large attendance with an estimated 500 visitors. Students received much of the necessary information that they would need to know for the next step in their educational careers, which is always good to know. Thoughts for how the event itself turned out was actually quite mixed amongst current LTHS students and staff. Superintendent Craig Wigley commented that the administration decided to approach the orientation in the style of a college tour, treating the school as a campus for its visitors to explore with a guide. He and Mr. Brandis regarded the change as experimental, hopefully making necessary revisions for upcoming years to make the experience as smooth as possible. On the other hand, one of the Spanish teachers criticized the event’s burdening length of over 3 hours and having to repeat their subject’s presentation 15 times. An LTHS student added a comment saying that the style was good in concept, but no so much in practice in terms of managing everything in such a time frame.

Regardless, the event had a substantial turnout with overall positive responses from incoming freshman and their parents. However, it is important to understand that this college-like format was experimental, so there should be no doubt that Lacey’s administration will work hard to make next year’s orientation successful and enjoyable for both the current and incoming students.