DECA Students Storm Real World Competition; Take Home Awards

Seniors that have been in the club for years and  made it to States. Bottom L-R: Olivia D'Addario, Alyssa Marano, Michael McClung, Gabriella Barth, Sarah Fedak
Top L-R: Brandon Haggerty, Jacqueline Frazee, Justin Frazee, Brandon Bielat, Olivia Peters, Andrew Strohmetz

Seniors that have been in the club for years and made it to States. Bottom L-R: Olivia D'Addario, Alyssa Marano, Michael McClung, Gabriella Barth, Sarah Fedak Top L-R: Brandon Haggerty, Jacqueline Frazee, Justin Frazee, Brandon Bielat, Olivia Peters, Andrew Strohmetz

P.O'Sullivan

Many young adults are constantly reminded, “Wait’ll you get to the REAL WORLD”.   Well, for the students of Mrs. Linda Pearce’s DECA competition club, the “Real World” has arrived.

Lacey’s DECA club had 16 students qualify for the state competition.  The Club won some significant awards and had 10 students qualify for Nationals in Anaheim, later this school year.  So, why the “Real World” reference?  Well, for those of you who may be unfamiliar with what DECA is or does, most of their competition features real world applications of potential situations that come up in the business world.

The students dress professionally and must compete in various role-play scenarios that might occur to hotel management or on a professional job.  According to two seniors, Olivia D’Addario and Alyssa Marano, the trip was a great experience and the club prepared them well.  Olivia said, “I love to dress up and it felt like a career setting”.  Alyssa said, “this is the highlight of my senior year”.  Both students couldn’t say enough about how much they learned while attending the competition at Harrah’s Resort and Convention Center in Atlantic City.  There they met students from all over New Jersey, during the 3-day, 2-night convention.   Olivia added that she felt that the Lacey student’s got closer on the trip.

Mrs. Pearce had a lot of great things to say about this year’s students in the club.  “They were awesome and had a great level of respect, especially at the awards ceremony”.  Mrs. Pearce added that the contributions of Justin Frazee should not be overlooked.  She pointed out that he is a four-year member of the club and has worked tirelessly to create a great atmosphere and bring in new people.

Some of the awards won by this year’s DECA club were four “Chapter” awards.  These are broken down into categories such as community outreach, membership, and state community service.  The club received the Gold award for chapter activities.  In regards to membership, the club added 20 “Real World” professionals to their local chapter.

The next time someone thinks to say, “Wait’ll you get to the Real World..”  this group of  Lacey Township High School students can say, “Well, we’re  already there!”