The L.I.O.N.

The L.I.O.N.

Easin’ On Down the Road to See The Wiz

Staring Zach Ramos and Reese's the dog. Photographed by Kaitlyn Keim

Alyssa Marano, Feature Editor

The LTHS drama club always puts together fantastic shows, and the spring 2017 show was no different. This spring, the drama club performed their version of the hit Broadway show The Wiz. This is a take on the classic movie The Wizard of Oz, and the drama club did an amazing job with it. I had the pleasure of attending the 2 p.m. show on Saturday, April 1, and I enjoyed every moment.

To put it simply, the cast was phenomenal. Sarah Koutishian, who portrayed the iconic character of Dorothy, was an outstanding actress with a wonderful voice. She deserves a lot of credit for memorizing all of her songs and lines, given that she was the main character. Erin Gaydos, who played the wicked witch Evillene, was fantastic as always. She got really into her character, and it definitely showed. She also had an amazing voice. Vanessa Fingerlin had a beautiful voice when she sang as her character Aunt Em. Matt Zinderman’s portrayal of the cowardly Lion was spot-on, and everyone could tell he put a lot of effort into his character. It was also very fun to watch Zach Ramos and Taylor Risley perform, as both of them are really good. Josh Trembley was also an amazing actor with a great voice. The highlight of the show occurred in the very beginning, when a dog ran across the stage as Toto. Yes, there was a real dog! Reese’s, the dog, was a super cute addition to the show. The casting was perfect for this show.

In addition to the great acting, everything else about the show was fantastic as well. The costumes were very well created, and they looked amazing on everyone. I especially liked Evillene’s witch outfit and the Wiz’s outfit, as they fit the characters very well. Mr. Bodnar and the costume design team deserve a lot of credit for putting the outfits together. The props were a great addition to the show, and the set design was skillfully created as well. Mr. Pierce did a great job leading the set design team, and all the hard work paid off. The whole face-in-the-wall set piece was one of the most memorable pieces from the set, and it took a lot of time and effort to create that. Recognition also goes out to the orchestra that performed during the show, the hair and make-up artists, the vocal and dance captains,the choreographer, and the lighting and sound crew. They put in so much work to make the show the best.

Many people helped out with the show, whether behind the scenes or as part of the show. If you know anyone who had a part in putting the show together or was in the show, please say something to them about how well they did. They deserve it. Nice job everyone!